Sunday, March 30, 2008

The Stories of John Cheever by John Cheever, 1979


This book is a must-have for the short-story aficionado's' library. The majority of stories are well-written with great humor, imagery, irony, tragedy - you name it. Some knowledge of Cheever's background and life gives perspective to his flavor of Americana depicted in these vignettes.

I recommend reading this book at leisurely pace or considering reading a novel simultaneously. It contains over 60 stories in 700 pages, and to read them in rapid succession can be tedious.

2 comments:

Ana S. said...

I am currently slowly but surely making my way through this one. Cheever is incredible, but you're right that these are better appreciated at a slow place.

Gilion at Rose City Reader said...

I just finished this one myself.

And I am in the process of siging up for this challenge. As soon as I am up and going, I will post my review.